Monday, November 6, 2023

Pressure and Courage

 

Another Bougainvillea Study
Watercolor and gouache
8" x 10" on Arches 100% cold press paper

It's a little embarrassing to share these two paintings, but my intent with this blog is to be honest about this hodge-podge learning curve I'm on re: watercolors. 

A major surprise to me since quitting my day jobs over a year ago is the amount of pressure I put on myself about learning to be a better painter. It often feels like I'm taking a step forward to every dozen steps back, and then I question myself for even trying. 

Usually just slopping some paint on paper in a playful way helps relieve this pressure, especially if I don't judge the results. It helps reboot the brain, cleanses the palate (also, sometimes, the palette), helps me summon the courage to get back on the learning-curve horse and try again. 

These paintings will likely get chopped up and made into abstract gift tags, but I am hoping they have cleared the way for some decent paintings to come. Stay tuned. 


And Another
Watercolor
8" x 10" on Arches 100% cotton hot press paper


No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...