Friday, May 26, 2023

Matilija Season Again
9" x 9" watercolor
Arches 100% cotton hot press paper

It's matilija poppy season again. I sure love these large white flowers with the "fried egg" centers that grow so bountifully on large bushes here in NorCal. 

And maybe I've learned some things since the last time I painted this scene. This painting is a little more nuanced in terms of shadows and lines, and I think I hit the right value for the sky with a combination of cobalt and cerulean blue with tinges of quin rose and lavender. The hot press paper allowed the background paint to puddle in interesting ways.

Kinda sorta pleased. These moments of resting on the "yeah" are what keep me hooked. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...