Friday, February 17, 2023

Scratching My Head Over Sycamores

 

Sycamore1
Watercolor in 8" x 8" Hand Book sketchbook
100% cotton cold press paper

I love sycamores. I mean, I really love them. 

I made this sketch from a photo I took while in Iowa recently, and  I was moderately pleased with it so decided to try to bring it along further in a stand-alone painting (see below). 

But the stand-alone painting is less pleasing to me, even though it took considerably more time to finish. I have it propped up on my desk, hoping it will grow on me.

So far, it hasn't. 

When you're on an art learning curve of your own, you often wish you had your own personal mentor-teacher. I may see if my favorite w/c teacher, Shari Blaukopf, will let me post these images on her "Sketching Winter" course and ask for her feedback. She readily gives feedback on artwork done in imitation of her demos; she'll also make comments on artwork done that is related to the theme of the class. I try not to take advantage of this (I'm a former English teacher, after all, and I still shudder at the idea of giving written feedback on anything!) 

Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head over these sycamores, but it doesn't mean I love sycamores any less. 


Sycamore2
10" x 10" watercolor
Arches 100% cold press paper



No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...