Sunday, October 24, 2021

And Yet Again

 

Bird of Paradise, Take 3
12" x 12" Arches 100% cotton cold press paper


I never would have guessed I'd be repeating paintings of the same subjects and even the same compositions. I didn't realize painters did that, but apparently many do, like Andy Evansen. 

Not sure this Bird of Paradise is any better than Take 1 or Take 2 but I had fun trying. It may well be that Take 1 was  better -- that's often the case with these repeat-paintings. When I look at that one now, I like the way those wormy petals look like they're moving. This one, by contrast, is rather static. 

BUT I think I made progress on this one with the background in terms of texture and abstraction. That progress made me go back to Take 2 to darken the background to add abstraction there. In the end, I may prefer the new Take 2, which I guess actually makes it Take 4. See below.

Much can be learned with do-overs and re-visits.  

"Bird of Paradise Take 4"
watercolor on 9" x 9" Arches 100% cotton cold press paper



No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...