Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Pure Idea Destroyed by Impure Reality

Sibley Regional Volcanic Preserve," 7.5 x 10" watercolor on Arches 100% cotton rough w/c paper

Yes, I had such a great image in my mind for this one but it went sort of awry. Too much fiddling, especially with the mountain and the trees on the right. Probably with the flowers, as well. 

Though I have to say, this painting does look better in person than on screen. Funny how that works. Sometimes it's vice versa. 

"Pure idea destroyed by impure reality" is a line from Frank Conroy's book, Stop-Time. I don't remember much about the book, but the line comes in handy now and then. Like right now. 

BUT...the picnic and the hike that day with my mate at Sibley Regional Volcanic Preserve more than made up for this lackluster painting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...