Saturday, March 20, 2021

Kind of Getting There

"East Bay Beauty," 7x10" watercolor on Arches 100% cotton cold press paper

Yes, I kind of felt it with this one, except for the sky. I splurged on a new online course by Shari Blaukopf ("Luminous Color for Sketchers), and I was not disappointed. She is such a great watercolor/sketching teacher. 

Working from a photo I had taken in the hills of Oakland, I took her advice to work with a triad of colors--raw sienna, prussian blue, and quin magenta. I tried to keep my brush strokes sparing but loaded with paint, and I tried to let the colors mix on the page rather than on the palatte. Except for the sky, which I botched, I tried not to go over and over things too much. 

It's wobbly--I still feel like I'm using training wheels to paint--but I do expect to be riding my bike more often soon. Perhaps. One of these days. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...