Friday, March 20, 2020

What a Difference a Day Makes

Hydrangeas
Ink and w/c
Stillman & Birns Zeta Sketchbook, 7.5" x 7.5" 
Emily Weil is doing some e-tutoring with me this month as we're sheltering in place because of COVID-19. When I told her by email that I was unhappy that I had drawn the vertical line (intending to suggest a crack in the stone wall), she suggested adding more color to the right of the vertical line. (The top image is "after"; the image below is "before.") 

I think the top image is an improvement; regardless, I am in love with the colors I added. The rich red-brown is a combination of hansa yellow light and quinachrodone magenta (Daniel Smith), and for the blue-grey I added phthalo blue to those two colors. Amazing that all of the colors in this painting come from those three primary colors!



No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...