Thursday, March 19, 2020

Hydrangeas, revisited

Hydrangeas
Ink and Watercolor
Stillman & Birns Zeta Sketchbook, 7.5" x 7.5" 

I'm still trying to create a painting of a hydrangea bush I saw crowing out of a crack between paving stones at Alcatraz last summer. It amazed me to see such a large plant thriving with so little room at its feet. 

So I used Emily Weil's color triad today: Daniel Smith's hansa yellow medium, quin magenta, and phthalo blue. The image above is a crop of this larger painting below: 



I felt that the vertical line in the background, which I drew intending to suggest a crack in the wall, detracted from the painting. When I cropped the painting, it became more interesting to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...