Monday, March 9, 2020

Guest Artist: Emily Weil

Patio Flowers, by Emily Weil
ink and watercolor
Stillman & Birns Sketchbook, Zeta series, 7.5 x 7.5 "

How lucky am I to be taking a few individual art lessons with the talented artist Emily Weil this month.

For our first lesson last week, we decided I would watch her paint. I wanted to know how she would approach a photo I’d taken last summer of two pots of flowers. (See my Patio Friends and Patio Friends 2 for my own painted versions).  

What fun to watch her work. Using her Sailor calligraphy fountain pen, she quickly drew some basic lines and then jumped right in with a triad of Daniel Smith watercolors, both mixed and direct (quinacridone magenta, hansa yellow medium, and phthalo blue, green shade). She uses this triad often as a basic foundation for her watercolor paintings because she feels it lends cohesiveness to her work. She also added quinacridone coral.


With a large, round brush she dropped washes here and there, first in the lower left table foreground, then moving on to the flowers, the leaves, then the background on the top right. After the painting dried she added color to the background fence, then final touches of color. One more short drying session, then a few white circles and lines added with a white acrylic marker because she felt the composition had become too dark. Ta da! – this lovely painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...