Saturday, February 1, 2020

Starting Over

So easy to get out of the daily painting habit and feel like you're regressing. So hard to get back into it. 

Today, after a gap of a couple of weeks and the gnawing feeling I might never paint again, I made myself start with a drawing of something close at hand--these sprouting bulbs. I started with pencil, then added some quick strokes of watercolor pencil and water, then a layer of watercolors with brush. It was all very rushed; I couldn't seem to make myself slow down and really see. After everything dried, I added black ink with my Sailor fountain pen with the calligraphic nib. That felt better. And then I added the words, and that felt even better. 

Sometimes getting back on the horse is clumsy and awkward, but that's what it takes to stay on a learning curve. But now, as the sun wanes, it's time for some of that chicken soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...