Monday, February 10, 2020

Negative Spaces



I tried to think in terms of painting the space around the flowers in order to block in their shapes. I was happy with that but then didn't do as well with the shadow shapes within the flowers. Same with the leaves--I rushed the process. Quite happy with the background and the shadows, however. Not happy with the full painting, below: I was in too much of a hurry with the bulbs. Also not crazy about the composition itself. I was intrigued with the way the left bulb extended so horizontally, but the overall composition is dull, with no clear focal point. BUT: at least I learned some things about the value of painting negative shapes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...