Sunday, October 6, 2024

In Love...with California Live Oaks

 

California Live Oak 1
8" x 8" watercolor
Arches 100% cotton hot press

I haven't yet unlocked the code of how to paint California live oaks (AKA coastal lives oaks), but that doesn't keep me from trying. They're so lovely to look at, these drought-resistant trees that populate the hillsides, sometimes all by their lonesome. This time of year, the contrast with the dry, whitening grasses is especially beautiful, though with this recent hot spell, we're especially ready for the fall rains to begin.  

California Live Oak 2
10" x 10" watercolor
Arches 100% cotton cold press paper


No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...