Friday, August 4, 2023

This or This or That or None of the Above?

10" x 12" Garden Selfie Revisited
Watercolor and watercolor pencil on Arches 100% cotton cold press

I sure love these white flowers with the purple and yellow centers that bloom this time of year in northern CA. I decided to try painting them for the third time, but this time with more than one flower in the composition. (See last year's first  attempt in June of 2022 here and the second attempt in mid-July here.) 

I like this composition better, but I clearly had trouble portraying the main white flower. It's way too tight and controlled, and I should have left more white spaces. In terms of the main flower, my first effort is more pleasing. 

However, I did some things with the background of this new composition that I found interesting. I like the abstractness of the lower two flowers. I added some light blue here and there with a watercolor pencil and I like that effect.

Below is a cropped version of the same composition. Time will tell whether this one, cropped or not, will stand up to the standard I have in my head. I doubt it because of the lack of fluidity and luminescence I am after with that main flower. I'll let the composition rest and maybe try again next year when these beauties start to flower again. 

10" x 10" Garden Selfie Revisited, Cropped


No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...