Thursday, August 31, 2023

Morning Along the Bay

 

Morning Along the Bay
4" x 6" watercolor

I thought this would be just a color/value study--or a "draft," as I like to call them because of my years of teaching writing. But the three larger paintings that preceded and followed are awful, trust me. This may be the best I can do right now with the beauty that struck me so powerfully a few mornings ago as I stood by the bay. 

What struck me were the rich blues and purples and aquas of sky, distant hills, and water--all in contrast to that very dense, very dark cypress tree. How to suggest that tree without overpowering the composition was, and still is, the question. So far, this has come the closest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...