Monday, May 1, 2023

Back to No Ink

"How Pretty the Colors Were Outside a Gilroy Garlic Shop Last Thursday"
8" x 8" on hot press paper, Stillman & Birns Sketchbook, Zeta Series


Sometimes it just takes your breath away--a scene, a combination of colors, a little slice of life. That is how I felt after I left a garlic store in Gilroy last Thursday: breathless, after seeing those red geraniums, the spring green hills in the distance, the textures of those leaves on the tree. I snapped several reference photos. 

Last post, I wrote about the relief of getting back my old habit of using ink with watercolors while vacationing in Santa Barbara. But the Muse is fickle. I tried this scene first with ink and made a mess out of it. Then decided to go more abstract with this second try.

I have to say, this one makes my heart sing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...