Thursday, March 16, 2023

Reflecting on Realism

 

Reflective Tree
10" x 14" watercolor
Arches 100% cotton cold press paper

This tree by the bay--just about a block from where we live--lifts my heart. But the painting doesn't--not like the study did in my sketchbook did (see below). 

What gives? 

Here's my diagnosis: As I've written in other posts, I prefer paintings that are looser, more abstract, though still somewhat representational. Yet the paradox is that I've been stuck for a while in realistic mode. A part of me thinks that learning how to portray realistically is the way through to a looser style. But what if it's just the way through to being stuck? 

I'm going to try this tree again in a much looser style and on hot press paper, which allows the paint to puddle and do interesting things all on its own. Wish me luck.


Reflective Tree Study
in Hand.Book Journal
Watercolor Square series, 8.25" x 8.25" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...