Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The Scales Fell Away...

"Snow"
8" x 12" watercolor on cold press paper

Yes, the scales fell away from my eyes...briefly...as I worked through Shari Blaukopf's online course called "Sketching Winter."

I painted her demos, and then I painted from one of her "extra" reference photos of a woodland near Montreal. I felt good about coming up with this without following a demo. The scene looks very much like a Midwestern woodland. And it happens that I'm spending a few weeks in Iowa, where we recently received a beautiful layer of snow. 

I've gone on to other snow paintings while here, and nothing has worked as well, but at least the scales fell away temporarily with this painting. 

That's the life of a painter-in-development. 





 

2 comments:

  1. It’s beautiful, Sue! I’m glad I didn’t miss this one. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...