Thursday, June 16, 2022

One More Revision

 

Trumpet Season4
6" x 6"" watercolor and watercolor pencil
on Arches 100% cotton hot press paper

I belong to a Facebook group called "All About Watercolor," and I highly recommend it or similar artists' sites on Facebook because you can often get some helpful advice from other members. 

I posted yesterday's painting and told the group I felt it was blah despite the vibrant colors. Within minutes I received advice to add a few darks to make the medium-values pop (done), do some lifting in order to have lighter highlights (I added white gouache here and there), and add detail to the lower left flower (I decided to crop much of it out, instead). 

Overall, I'm more satisfied with this version, and I'm grateful to the group for their (free!) suggestions. 

I also know that the most important thing to do, usually, is go on to the next painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...