Thursday, February 24, 2022

Palm Practice

Alameda Palms
8" x 8" watercolor on Fluid cold press watercolor paper


Just when you think you'll never again paint something you like, you hit one that gives you joy. Gosh almighty, how lucky to be in love with a watercolor painting learning curve.

And how lucky to be inspired by Canadian artist Shari Blaukopf, whose online course, "Behind the Palms," inspired this little painting. Shari had us practice painting palms from her reference photos taken in Florida, and then I applied what I learned to these palms in my 'hood in Alameda. This city's iconic palms continue to tickle my fancy, even after three years.

In April I plan to meet and study with Shari Blaukopf in person. She's such a great teacher. I've taken several of her online courses, which are not expensive and are permanently accessible. She's a fabulous artist, a great teacher, and amazingly generous about giving feedback to her online students--for as long as they want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...