Friday, August 20, 2021

Unexpected Gifts

"Backyard Mag," 7.5" x 8.5" watercolor on Arches 100% cotton cold press paper

The last place we lived in north central Iowa, we bought a home in the winter. It wasn't until May that we realized we had a beautiful flowering magnolia. What an unexpected gift. 

It's a very serious time right now, with COVID cases climbing again, wildfires and other climate-related disasters, turmoil in Afghanistan. But may we all look for and appreciate those unexpected gifts, wherever and however they present themselves. 

For me, this art learning curve at this time in my life is a gift. For this painting I reached back several years to a photo of that magnolia tree in north central Iowa. Not super happy with the results--it's not skilled enough to look realistic but lacks a strong design for an effective semi-abstract approach. That's okay. At least I honored my gift of a love of learning about watercolors.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...