Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Crown Beach State Park

 

"Clouds Above Gardens, Crown Beach State Park," 7.5" x 12" watercolor on Arches 100% cotton cold press

"There's something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."  

As I wrote in my July 22 post, artist-friend Emily Weil challenged me to paint in one style for 30 days to see what I can learn. So I've been trying to channel Andy Evansen, particularly his method of establishing and connecting middle values as the foundation of the painting. 

Today was the fourteenth day. A couple of those days, I've accidently hit upon a look that I like. 

It happened here with this painting, and also the July 22 painting. Not sure how to articulate this look. It's certainly not Andy's look. The strokes are simple and stylistic, and the paintings are less realistic-looking and more abstracted than Andy's. I've also used fewer layers--less glazing--than is typical for me, hoping for a cleaner, less-is-more effect.

In both paintings I established and connected the middle values (a la Andy), then brushed in some marks indicating flowers/leaves. I let those marks dry, and then came in over the top with the lighter colors--here, the lavenders and pinks, and with the July 22 painting, the yellows. 

It was so fun to see the lighter colors pop out of the darks. And I'm slowly learning which colors will do that (hint: the transparent ones) and, conversely, which just create a muddy mess. 

Or these freak accidents that I won't be able to replicate? Or say I do--is this still just a passing phase that I'll grow out of and decide I don't like all that much? Who knows. But this everyday painting practice is worth keeping on keeping on. 

Especially during an unpredictable pandemic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...