Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Garden Riot Revisited

 

"Garden Riot 2," watercolor and pencil, 9" x 11" on Arches 100% cotton hot press paper 

Happier with this one than version one. I tried to be even more intentional about using Sheri Blaukopf's style in her beautiful Mother's Day bouquet

I can see that the dark greens take away from the purples and magentas along the bottom. I tried to compensate by adding titanium white here and there, but it can be tough with watercolors to lighten the dark areas...especially when you've used liberal amounts of phthalo blue, a staining pigment that doesn't lift easily.  

Shari B's bouquet looks so spontaneous and lovely, but I know that she's a dedicated painter with years of experience. I so appreciate her blog, her book The Urban Sketching Handbook: Working with Color, and her instructional videos, several of which I've purchased and review frequently. 

For those interested in learning more about creating dynamic watercolor and gouache paintings, I highly recommend visiting Shari Blaukopf's web site. She's definitely an ace artist and instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...