Thursday, February 25, 2021

Summer's Just Ahead

 

Katy's Garden, 6.5" x 10" ink and watercolor

And then back to the ink and watercolor. Now that's just fun, in contrast to the more traditional watercolor-only paintings I've been doing, which I find laborious and painstaking except for those rare sweet-spot moments. 

I used a Speedball dip pen to establish some basic lines, then went over some of those lines with a stick dipped in black acrylic ink (as artist-friend Emily Weil taught me to to). Went for a walk while all that thick ink dried, and then came back and splashed in the colors. 

Quick and easy and now, taped above my desk, makes me happy as I prepare to work on a freelance editing project. That's how it works: an hour of art-making often provides good fuel for the day's other tasks. What a beautiful formula when it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...