Monday, March 9, 2020

Magnolia

Magnolias
Ink and watercolor
Stillman & Birns Zeta Sketchbook, 7.5" x 7.5" 


Is this more of a drawing or more of a painting?

I am not sure.

Does it matter? Not really.

What does matter?

The way as soon as I saw the watercolors begin to puddle and mix, I felt very satisfied and happy.

The way the combination of cobalt blue, cobalt violet, and quinacridone magenta vibrate with energy, at least for me.

The way I felt connected to a helpful community artists before and while I painted: Emily Weil advising me, in-person at a painting lesson just days earlier, to paint what I’m drawn to in the style I like in order to learn more deeply; Liz Steel, via online video Sketching Now watercolor class, demonstrating how to use washes; and Antrese Wood, via Savvy Painter podcast, talking about resistance and the artist.

Yes, I experienced the magic I’d been seeking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...