Sunday, May 6, 2018

Getting the Hang of It

Gesture Drawings, MacNider Art Museum, Uniball micro pen and watercolor
Stillman Birn Sketchbook, Beta Series, 5.5"x8.5", Cold Press Surface

Yesterday I had the privilege of taking an all-day drawing workshop with Richard Leet, the founding director of the MacNider Art Museum in Mason City. 

We did a lot of gesture sketching, and Richard talked abut drawing from the "inside-out," getting the form down. "Think in terms of wire sculpture," he said, or in terms of a skeleton and muscles...and "use controlled, reckless abandon, working from the inside out." 

Toward the end of the day he encouraged us to spread out in the museum and practice our gesture drawing. That's when I felt I sort of starting getting the hang of it. 


Gesture Drawings, MacNider Art Museum, Uniball micro pen and watercolor
Stillman Birn Sketchbook, Beta Series, 5.5"x8.5", Cold Press Surface
Richard worked at the museum from 1965 to 2001 and periodically teaches classes there. He says even while working there, he was given time and space to be an active artist. He showed us a book he has compiled of wonderful ink drawings done over many years' time, and I know he has quite a collection of watercolor paintings, as well. What a career! I feel so grateful that he still teaches in the community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More About the Sally Project

I met Sally forty years ago when I was twenty and she was the one in her sixties. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson’s restaurant on...